Sunday, March 10, 2013

Create an Outfit: Work vs. Not work Outfit!

I just discovered a cool website called Polyvore where you can create outfits from scratch using individual pieces of clothing and shoes and jewelry, etc. etc. It's kind of addicting at first though. So I wanted to share what I would call a "two-faced" look that would work for me - and most likely others out there also - since I have a completely different sense of style that doesn't entirely match what would be job-friendly 'round here. 


 To start off, I picked two sets of very similar pieces of clothing as my base; The olive green shirt and the black jeans, which I would happily wear any day.


 


To distinguish my "at work" look from my "not at work" look I would throw on a white or beige cardigan, both to cover up a bit because my office is always cold, and just because it makes it look that much more girly and "formal," which is what we want to aim for when I'm at work.The ideal shoe for this outfit is a black flat or wedge/heel. Lately I've been really into little wedges as shown above. They're adorable, aren't they?! As for jewelry, I've got stretched ears so to avoid the very
unnecessary discrimination against that, I'd want to put on some plugs that have a cute design on it like that flower. It also makes it look like they're regular-sized earrings, so that's a huge plus. I usually don't wear
anymore jewelry so I can leave it at that. Now onto my favorite part; the purse. I picked a light colored hobo-like bag that ties it all together. I believe the light color makes it look even more girly and all, but it's
not like I'm going to be carrying it around my whole shift, right? But in the end, I have an outfit that kind of says "put-together/semi-formal/ slightly-professional," which is exactly the illusion I wanted to create!









 My "not at work" outfit is what I'd prefer to wear every
day. It's not as girly looking, even though we have pretty much very similar base pieces. It's really all about styling it differently. I would have used the same shirts, but I love camouflage so I wanted to incorporate that into the look - if you can't spot the camo, it's on the pocket of the shirt! So firstly I want to focus on the shoe for this one. I would pick either a black or a dark green pair of Doc Martens, or just Doc-wannabes/other combat boots. I mean, they are about $75 cheaper, right? Lately I've been really loving dark green/ olive green things. That color reminds me of the army, and for some reason I've always loved clothes that make me look like I'm in the army. (Weird, I know.) Which is why I also picked that tan colored army-lookin backpack. I think it's the cutest backpack I have ever seen! But I couldn't decide on whether or not to keep that particular piece or an actual bag, so I kept both as an option. The bag is a really cute black leather satchel-like purse that I kind of fell in love with. It's simple, which works well for this look. Now for my ears! Anyone who really knows me knows that I have this great infatuation/worship for the moon so obviously I picked a pair of plugs with the full moon on them. I've never seen any like this, so I literally gawked at the screen when I saw it. I still want to find the Etsy shop that makes them! *drool* The ending result is an ideal look that I would wear everyday, if I was ever not at work, school, or in my bedroom of course!


So there we have it! A two-faced look that gets me from Work Outfit to Not Work Outfit. Definitely comes in handy; I tend to try really hard not to look like an actual girl when I'm not at work. *-* (Does that make me sound creepy?) Anyway! That's it for now, really sorry I haven't been posting regularly. I really promise I'll try to stick to some kind of pattern from now on but until next time,
have an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment